Welcome to Catching the Torch

I don't know about you but I often feel a pang of sadness when I look back at old photographs. It's almost as though I wish I could travel back in time and see those in the picture as they were then, vibrant and real; not as a grainy sepia image depicting a moment frozen long ago.

Well, thanks to friends and family I have recently been able to access some of my family's pictorial history which until now has been stored away by my great-uncle. However, not content to leave it at simply cataloguing them, I am on a mission to forge a new connection with these forgotten lives, to give substance to the ghosts that stare out from the paper that holds them.

Thanks to modern computer technology and an awful lot of time and patience I am slowly working through the many albums we have unearthed and taking hi-res scans of some of the most emotive photographs and retouching them with colour. In due course I am hoping to bring those unknown ghosts of the past back to life in our imagination whilst putting together a more detailed understanding of where I come from.

To view the photos at a better resolution, please click on them.

I hope you enjoy accompanying me on my journey of discovery into the past.

Sunday, 17 February 2008

Grandie


These first few posts aren't really much help in establishing chronology at all, but I'm keen to document the couple of photos I've already done.


This photo is one of my Dad's dad, who served with the 56th London Div. (the Black Cats) in WW2. Wikipedia has his division serving in the following battles:That's quite a tour. He was a fantastic man. He was wounded in the war and spent time in hospital. Whilst he was recuperating his best friend who he normally would have been stood right alongside was killed. He was a driver and even drove General Montgomery out in the desert. I have a scan of his demob letter proclaiming him to be the best driver his Brigadier had ever had.

I have his medals, swing mounted and polished so you can see your face in them, worn every year on Remembrance Sunday.

I'll update this with more over time. In the meantime have a look at this restored version of the photo.

No comments: